i-FAIR 3 Call for Nominations
Closing Date - 10th June 2023
Calling selected VCs, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Hubs, Incubators and Programs, to nominate candidates for the 3rd edition of i-FAIR!
We want to join forces with you to help entrepreneurs/startups and innovators, take their product development to the next level.
If any of your entrepreneurs/startups or innovators is developing a solution that can solve one or more of Africa’s challenges, and falls in one of i-FAIR’s Areas of Focus, has a strong value proposition, proven demand, ideally includes a hardware component (not a must), and is ready to develop a prototype, or in the process of product development; nominate them for i-FAIR 3.
i-FAIR will provide them with access to the technology, machinery and expertise needed, in order to take their product development to the next level; including the development of functioning prototypes/MVPs of their solution, access to funding opportunities and business development mentorship.
Welcome to i-FAIR; the program for entrepreneurs and innovators. i-FAIR is an initiative of the Embassy of the State of Israel in Nigeria in collaboration with the Office of the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
With the mandate to empower INNOVATORS, INVENTORS, ENTREPRENEURS, and VENTURE CREATORS in Nigeria, i-FAIR was born out of the need to tackle local challenges with innovative made-in-Nigeria solutions; for the overall goal of inspiring Nigeria to become a start-up nation.
Through the 6-month program, i-FAIR provides participants with the necessary resources and support to transform their ideas into innovations and sustainable ventures that can create jobs and generate wealth for Nigerians and Nigeria.
We have successfully implemented 2 editions of i-FAIR, with a total of 63 FELLOWS and 56 PROTOTYPES DEVELOPED. This was achieved in over 1,300 mentorship hours, supporting over 100 ideas and witnessing inspiring success stories of i-FAIR Fellows who have transformed their ideas into ventures such as Thinkbike, Soilless Farm Labs, Quadloop Africa, Eco Circular Solution, who have gone ahead to attract investment and become successful enterprises.
We understand the challenges facing the innovation ecosystem in Nigeria and have identified them as an opportunity to provide relevant, beneficial, and unique support systems to our Fellows.
At the heart of i-FAIR is Innov8 Hub, the implementation partner of i-FAIR, which provides access to their innovation hub, facilities, cutting-edge technology, mentorship and expertise that support Fellows from the point of IDEATION to the point of PROTOTYPE DEVELOPMENT and VENTURE CREATION.
At i-FAIR, we are committed to supporting innovation and empowering aspiring inventors and venture creators in Nigeria, to transform their ideas into Inventions.
Nigeria is blessed with a wide innovation support services ecosystem, including hubs and incubator programs. Most hubs and programs provide great business development support, networking and access to investors. However many startups/entrepreneurs whose solutions include a hardware component, still lack the ability to develop their technology/product locally. i-FAIR seeks to join forces with the innovation support ecosystem and strengthen it by providing entrepreneurs and innovators with the full package that they need to develop their product. From product design, through prototyping to small scale production, i-Fair program optimizes the use of locally sourced materials and encourages production in Nigeria using innovative methods and techniques.
Who should Apply?
We are looking for Solutions which:
- Have a clear concept & valid value proposition
- Have completed their initial market validation process
- Will benefit from hands-on support on their product development
- The solution would ideally include a hardware component (not a must)
- In case of an established business-it must be African-owned, majorly-Nigerian-owned business, currently or intending to operate in Nigeria
- Address one of Africa’s challenges and fall within one of our areas of focus
Areas of Focus
1. FOOD SECURITY (Agriculture and Food Technology) :
Solutions that increase productivity as well as address challenges around food processing and supply chain.
2. HEALTH/MEDICAL DEVICE:
Solutions which will increase the accessibility to proper advanced health care.
Solutions which increase access to proper education suited to the local content and learning environment, including AI in education, learning tools and more.
4. CIRCULAR ECONOMY :
Solutions that reduce or eliminate waste, from product design to its end of life. For example, utilizing waste by turning it into useful products.
5. CLEAN ENERGY:
Solutions that serve rural and/or peri-urban communities not adequately served by the national grid, addresses a real energy-access issue across any part of the value chain.
Solutions that improve manufacturing/small scale manufacturing capacity that will solve challenges in infrastructure and maintenance, including quality assurance.
If the idea you are passionate about does not fall into any of the above, but has a proven need/demand, please feel free to apply. We know that passionate entrepreneurs with surprising ideas may be the greatest.
- Applications and Initial screening process.
- Secondary screening process.
- Online pitching competition- Shortlisted candidates will pitch to our selection committee which includes investors, stakeholders and experts. Candidates will be assessed based on their value proposition, market needs, entrepreneurial and technical skills.
- Showcase event – exhibition of prototypes/MVPs/products, pitching to investors and potential partners.
- For all in-person bootcamps- travel expenses are sponsored and accommodation and feeding provided.
Benefits to Participants
Successful applicants are entitled to the following benefits:
- A unique platform to transform ideas into inventions and develop working prototypes;
- Free access and membership to a modern innovation center where they can work on and develop their prototypes/products with hands-on support of technical experts ;
- Access to a special certificate course and mentoring by accomplished inventors, innovators, and researchers from Nigeria and the State of Israel;
- Exposure to R&D processes and procedures of leading international institutes.
- The opportunity to pitch inventions and prototypes to investors for possible adoption, patronage and partnership;
- For the in-person bootcamps in Abuja, transportation and accommodation will be covered.
- i-FAIR’s support does NOT involve any equity, shares or IP rights on your developments.
Benefits to Nigeria
- Development of innovations with the potential to address challenges in the Nigerian society.
- Development of Made-In-Nigeria solutions to challenges in Nigeria.
- Economic advancement and wealth creation by way of venture creation.
- Job creation through innovation development, by the transition of innovations into start-ups.
- Introducing Nigerians to technologies, processes and procedures with the capability to solve critical challenges.
- Creating self-sufficiency and productivity within the Nigerian innovation ecosystem.
- Nation-building through innovation, Research & Development, and entrepreneurship.
- Putting Nigeria on the path to becoming a start-up nation.